With over one billion monthly active users, Instagram is an excellent platform for creators and businesses.
However, due to the large amount of videos churned out daily on the platform, you need a good video strategy to reach a wider audience and increase engagement.
Adding captions to your Instagram videos, Reels, and Stories is an effective way to expand your reach, connect with your viewers, and increase accessibility.
If you want to learn how to add captions to your Instagram videos, read on.
We’ll show you how to add captions to Instagram Reels and Instagram Stories in two easy ways.
- Using the auto-captioning feature on Instagram
- An auto-captioning tool - Submagic
Why Add Captions to Instagram Videos?
Statistics have revealed that video posts get more engagement than static image posts, making features like Instagram Reels and Instagram Stories incredibly effective at expanding reach.
A recent poll indicated that 70% of adult Gen Z respondents and 53% of millennial respondents said they usually watch content with text.
Leaving out captions means leaving out the opportunity to engage these audiences. Other reasons why you should add captions to your Instagram videos include:
- SEO discoverability
- Longer watch time
- Engaging viewers who watch videos on mute
- Inclusive content for viewers with hearing disabilities
- Easier to reach audiences speaking different languages
How to Add Captions to Instagram Videos Automatically
Instagram offers built-in captioning tools, so you can easily generate captions from within the platform. The setback, however, is that these subtitles offer limited customization options and are not always fancy like the captions you see in popular creators like Alex Hormozi’s videos.
Here’s how to add captions to your Instagram Reels and Instagram Stories directly on Instagram
Step 1: Open Instagram and tap the plus icon, choose Reels
Step 2: Record a new Instagram Reel by clicking the record icon. You can also choose an existing video on your Phone.
Step 3: Click “preview” to edit your Instagram Reel.
Step 4: Tap the Instagram Stickers or the smiley icon to add subtitles.
Step 5: Tap the sticker icon and choose “Captions” to insert subtitles.
It’s easy and quick to add captions to Instagram stories, just like it is for reels!
- Go to Instagram and click the Your Story button.
- Upload your video.
- Next, tap the sticker icon and then select Captions.
- Pick the font, size, color, and location of your captions.
- Hit Done when finished, and then Your Story or Your Stories.
How to Add Captions to Instagram Videos with Submagic
Submagic is a preferred auto-captioning tool for adding captions to Instagram videos if you want your videos to pop with lively captions and emojis that you can customize.
The step-by-step guide using Submagic is the same for adding captions to Instagram Reels and Instagram stories. You can also follow this method for adding captions to YouTube shorts.
Submagic is an intuitive, easy-to-use tool to create effortless captions with emojis, animations, and stylish fonts.
Step 1. Upload your Video
Type “Submagic.co” directly in your web browser. Record your short-form video in vertical format (1080x1920) pixels.
Upload your video. Click or drag/drop to upload your video.
Name your project, and choose the language linked to your video's audio. Submagic supports over 48 languages!
Step 2. Generate the Subtitles
Submagic generates your subtitles within minutes through its auto-subtitle generator. You can change the color, animation, emojis, timing when the text appears, and even fonts.🎨
Instagram’s Built-in Subtitle Generator vs. Submagic
As mentioned above, if you want a straightforward method to add captions to your Instagram videos, use the Instagram auto-captioning feature. However, if you’re focusing on accessibility, reach, and engagement, you will be limited due to the few options offered by Instagram. Here, we’ve made a comparison between Submagic and Instagram auto-captioning features.
Instagram Auto-captioning Feature
- Instagram allows you to create videos, edit, caption, and share them from one place.
- Captions are generated fairly quickly.
- The feature is not available in non-English-speaking countries.
- Auto-captions are not always accurate.
- Submagic offers animated subtitles and emojis, which is a powerful combination for short videos (1080x1920). ✅
- Accuracy in speech-to-text translation.
- It works in over 48+ languages. This means that with Submagic.co, you can reach a larger audience base! ✅
- Create professional videos in under five minutes with this closed caption generator. ✅
- Submagic will allow you to add your personal touch and brand essence to your captions. ✅
- Submagic pricing ranges between $20 - $50 for 20 to unlimited videos monthly. ✅
- Popular creators use them on Instagram to create Alex Hormozi’s type of video content.
How do you add subtitles to Instagram?
You can add subtitles on Instagram via Instagram’s built-in captioning feature. However, if you want better accuracy and personalization, you can use the automatic captioning software Submagic.
What is the best caption app for Instagram?
The best caption app for Instagram has to focus on the speed of transcribing, accuracy, and the flexibility of personalizing the captions. Submagic, an auto-captioning software, has all these features and allows captioning in 48+ languages.