Adding captions to TikTok clips has never been easier. Whether you turn on closed captions on TikTok, add subtitles directly from the TikTok editor, or use subtitle software, you can make your video easily accessible.
Let’s dive deeper into those captioning options and learn how to add captions on TikTok! 😎
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a video-sharing app that allows you to upload, watch, and share short-form videos (1080 pixels by 1920 pixels). It’s a recent social media platform, but already one of the biggest apps in the social media industry.
according to backlinko.com and ecwid.com, TikTok's global monthly users have grown by 1,157% since 2018. The number of active uses on the platform have also grown from 271 million in 2018 to 1,092 in 2023!
What is The Ancestor of TikTok?
TikTok has not been created from scratch in 2018. “Bytedance,” a Chinese,” Internet technology company, had the idea to create “TikTok” by acquiring Musical.ly. At that time, Musical.ly was a famous social media platform for four years, on which users posted short lips-sync video content.
Musical.ly was clearly made for one specific niche, however, TikTok has changed that. Today, you can easily find every niche on TikTok, create and post short-form videos that differ from lips-sync content, and still build an audience!
TikTok in 2023 (Metrics and Data)
In 2023, TikTok:
- Has 4.8 billion internet users worldwide
- Is the most downloaded app in the App Store (video and photo category)
- Can post videos of 10 minutes maximum
- Is one of the most famous social media platforms (top 6)
Why You Should Add Captions to TikTok Clips?
A video on TikTok doesn’t go viral by luck. When you upload a video, it goes through a complex process that we call “TikTok’s algorithm.” This TikTok algorithm will automatically detect if your video follows the TikTok guidelines, rules, and KPIs (key performance indicators). TikTok boosts the videos that perform well based on these metrics.
While TikTok doesn’t communicate in public about its algorithm process, it is believed to be comparable to other social media algorithms! And one thing is for sure: for all social media platforms, accessibility is KEY. Accessibility is the ability for all of your viewers to watch your videos and understand your message. 🚀
Best Way to Make Your Video Accessible: Add captions to TikTok Clips
By adding captions on TikTok, your viewers with hearing impairments, or even those who watch your video without turning the sound on, will be able to understand your message… and TikTok’s algorithm will reward you for it!
How to Edit TikTok Captions: 3 Different Ways
There are three different ways you can add captions to your TikTok videos and edit them. We’ll take a deeper look at how each of these work.
1- Online Subtitle Editor: Automatically Add TikTok Captions to go Viral
If you want to differentiate yourself on TikTok, this is a great tool to use.
Your visuals are important on TikTok. The best way to stand apart from others on the platform is by adding original subtitles on TikTok.
The only problem? It takes time. You can spend hours editing subtitles directly from TikTok’s video editor, as well as doing them in classic video editing software like CapCut or Premiere Pro. The fastest way to add captions on TikTok is Submagic. co.
This web-based platform allows you to add subtitles to your video in 3 clicks. 🚀
Learn How to Edit TikTok Captions Using Submagic with This Video Guide:
- Record and prepare your video in vertical format. This video ratio, also known as “short” format, is 1080 pixels by 1920 pixels (1080x1920).
- Go to “Submagic. co” with your favorite browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox…)
- Click on “Create my video now.”
- Upload your video. Click or drag/drop to upload your video.
- Name your project, and choose the language linked to the audio of your video. Submagic supports over 48 languages! Click “upload” and let the magic happen!
- You can now edit your TikTok captions with Submagic. From the subtitle text to the caption animation, you can easily create the best TikTok captions for your videos, which will boost the growth of your TikTok channel!
2- TikTok Closed Captioning Tool: Alternative to Add Captions on TikTok
Do you see those texts displayed on little gray rectangles when you watch a TikTok video? Those are closed captions.
Adding closed captions to TikTok allows viewers to read what is being said in the video. The great thing about TikTok’s closed captioning feature is that no matter the language the viewer speaks, they can turn on closed captions in their language. As you can see, this effortless closed captioning option will allow you to become accessible without making any effort! But maybe one question comes into your mind… How to turn on captions on TikTok videos? 🤔
How to Turn on Captions on TikTok
- Upload your video on TikTok. At the right of your screen, you’ll see some features that you can use to edit your clip. To get access to the remaining options, click on the arrow pointing down.
- Now, you’ll be able to see the “captions” option. Click on it, and wait a few seconds. This process will turn captions on TikTok.
- TikTok will automatically generate your captions according to the language of your video. In this example, it is American English.
- Once your TikTok captions are added, you can edit those captions by clicking on the “pen” button. The transcription accuracy isn’t at 100%, so it’s better to double-check your captions before uploading your video on TikTok!
- Click on “Save” at the top right corner of your screen, and your TikTok captions will be added to your short video!
- You want to resize those closed captions? With the easy-to-use interface, you can manually edit captions on TikTok, and even change their position!
3- TikTok Video Editor: Add captions Directly from TikTok
Maybe adding closed captions doesn’t offer you enough freedom because you want to add colors to specific words or even add emojis. Good news: if you want to freely add and edit captions on TikTok, the TikTok video editor could be a great alternative! 🧡
How to Add Subtitles on TikTok With Its Editor? (Beginner’s Guide)
- Upload your video on TikTok without captions. On the right of your screen, you’ll see an “edit” button. Click on it to access the TikTok video editor.
- Once you’re in the editor, it’s time to manually add your subtitles. Click on “Text” at, the bottom of your screen.
- Now, add your TikTok subtitles and adjust their timing so they fit perfectly with the audio. Here’s a little tip: use the “Heavy” font, with a black border for TikTok subtitles that follow the trends.
- Create your TikTok captions for the rest of your video based on your audio.
As you can see, it is quite complex to edit TikTok captions with its native editor.
What is The Best Way to Add Captions on TikTok?
Even though the goal of all three options we’ve provided above is to add captions on TikTok and improve accessibility, the results they produce vary.
👉TikTok Closed-Captions Increase the Accessibility of Your Videos.
If you turn on captions on TikTok, the algorithm loves it. Accessibility is one of the key ranking factors of TikTok’s algorithm.
👉TikTok Subtitle Editor Adds Metadata to Your Videos.
While TikTok closed-captions directly add text to the video, the subtitle editor works by adding metadata to your video. And TikTok's algorithm loves it. Adding keywords explaining your message boosts your video.
This is part of an SEO hack content creators use. They add keywords related to the video from the TikTok subtitle editor and put them off of the screen. This allows TikTok to understand what the video is about while keeping the keywords hidden from viewers.
👉Submagic’s Subtitles Increase Engagement up to +75%.
Adding subtitles to your videos using Submagic's subtitle editor is a game-changer. Studies reveal that videos with subtitles get higher engagement rates and viewership.
In fact, 80% of viewers are more likely to watch a video to the end if it has subtitles. Submagic helps creators/editors customize subtitles and emojis, support multiple languages, and improve accessibility, ensuring your content is more engaging and reaches a broader audience. Click here to post your first video with TikTok captions to go viral! 🧡
(FAQ) Frequently Asked Questions on How to Add Captions on TikTok:
Do captions affect the TikTok algorithm and the visibility of my videos?
Yes, captions can have an impact on the TikTok algorithm and the visibility of your videos. TikTok's algorithm takes into account various factors when determining the reach and engagement of a video.
Captions provide additional metadata and context to your video, which can help the algorithm understand the content better. Engaging captions that are relevant to your video may attract more viewers and engagement, potentially increasing your video's visibility on the platform.
Are there any caption trends or strategies that are particularly effective in 2023?
Caption trends and strategies on TikTok can change over time, so it's essential to stay updated with the latest trends. As of now, we suggest using colorful and animated captions with emojis. You can find many subtitle templates with Submagic following the latest TikTok caption trends.
Common mistakes to avoid when adding captions to TikTok videos include:
- Spelling and grammatical errors: Ensure your captions are free of mistakes.
- Irrelevant captions: Make sure your captions relate to the content of your video.
- Overloading with text: Avoid overwhelming viewers with long captions on each line.