We spent 27 hours gathering the best hooks used by well-known content creators on TikTok and Instagram Reels so that you don't spend time creating some with poor results. 😎
What is a Hook?
The hook is the first impression
You should consider your hook as the red carpet of your video. It's the first impression, and just like in real life, if it’s not appealing enough, it’s challenging to make a comeback.
Hooks are used in various forms of media, such as writing, advertising, storytelling, and even music, to captivate the audience and keep them engaged.
A hook on social media such as TikTok or Instagram aims to pique curiosity, provoke thought, evoke emotions, or create a desire to learn more about your video message. It encourages the audience to invest their time and attention in the content.
Also, hooks can evoke various emotions, such as excitement, intrigue, surprise, or even humor, depending on the desired effect and your message. By appealing to their curiosity and emotions, hooks are necessary when posting a video on social media platforms like TikTok or Instagram. Even more than that, hooks are one of the keys to success online… 🧡
Attention spans have become the currency of the internet. Sadly, we have less of our attention to spare in a world where distractions are everywhere. So, in 2023, creating a video that will achieve a reasonable retention rate is increasingly difficult.
In 20 years, the attention span has decreased by 25%. "Globalmarketingprofessor" reveals that the average human attention span now stands at 8.25 seconds, a 25% decrease since 2003.
In this environment, a dynamic hook becomes the key to grabbing attention and increasing the retention rate of your video. 🤯
What is a Great Hook?
A good hook must be "Scroll Stopper"
The notion of “scroll-stopping video” is mainly used by ads specialists when advertising online. According to marketing-dictionary, scroll-stopping content refers to punchy words and visuals that captivate users on platforms like Instagram, YouTube, TikTok, and other similar media platforms. This makes them pause scrolling and interact with the content in that particular feed.
Best TikTok and Instagram hooks are scroll stoppers, too. When posting a video, your main goal is to engage viewers with your content. One of the best ways to do so is to make them feel involved at the beginning of your video with a good hook!
A good hook respects the 2-Second Rule
2 seconds… ⌛
This is what it needs for a viewer to decide whether they will stay on the video or continue scrolling. With this information, we can assume that it is critical to finding a punchy hook. 👊
So, what are the best hooks for your videos on Instagram Reels, TikTok, or YouTube Shorts? Let’s dive deeper into the topic and find 75+ different hooks to use in every situation!
75 Instagram and TikTok hook examples (2023 edition)
(TARGET AUDIENCE) - Who are the primary people you are creating the content for
(DESIRED RESULT) - The dream outcome for the people you are creating your content for
(RELATED TO NICHE) - Put down something that your target audience would know
(PAIN POINT OF TARGET AUDIENCE) - A problem that the typical person that you’re creating the content for has
👉 Ask a question in your hooks
Let’s say you’re on a date with someone; we always advise you to ask questions to know more about that person. But not only! Psychologically, with one question, you let them think of their answers. So they feel involved instantly.
Well, the same psychological situation happens with a hook asking a question to people watching TikTok or Instagram Reels. Your audience will take the time to answer your questions. Consequently, it will lead to a higher retention rate. The higher the retention rate from the viewer, the more chance the viewer gets your message. 🚀
- Imagine if you could (DESIRED RESULT)
Imagine if you could earn $10,000 a month from the comfort of your own home.
- Is it just me, or (ACTION)
Is it just me, or you ever find yourself dreaming of financial freedom?
- Why doesn’t anyone talk about (RELATED TO NICHE)?
Why doesn’t anyone talk about the potential of AI in the financial industry?
- What if I told you there's a simple way to (DESIRED RESULT)?
What if I told you there's a simple way to earn $1,000 a month with this app
- What if your (DESIRED RESULTS) were just one step away?
What if your dreams of becoming famous were just one step away?
- What if you could (DESIRED RESULT) without (PAIN POINT OF TARGET AUDIENCE)?
What if you could get fit without giving up your favorite foods or spending hours at the gym?
- Ever ask yourself why (PAIN POINT)
Ever ask yourself why some investors consistently outperform the market while others struggle to make gains?
- Struggling with (PAIN POINT OF TARGET AUDIENCE)? Here’s a secret tip I wish I knew earlier
Struggling with creating high-quality videos? Here’s a secret tip I wish I knew earlier
- Are you struggling with (PAIN POINT OF TARGET AUDIENCE)? Then try this
Are you struggling with time management? Then try this
- If you are tired of (PAIN POINT OF TARGET AUDIENCE)? Then try this
If you are tired with (PAIN POINT OF TARGET AUDIENCE) then try the experimental hook. It is one of the best examples of Instagram and TikTok hooks
👉 Use numbers and % for your hooks
Effective hooks often incorporate numbers, and that's not for nothing. Good salespeople frequently use numbers because they understand their rational power.
A hook is used to psychologically tell your viewers: "Invest just 50 seconds in watching my video - it's worth it". 🤓
And, to show them that it is worth watching your video, one of the best ways is to use numbers! People love rational and concrete facts and so speak metrics. Plus, it makes your content more relatable and professional. Even if you've creatively generated these numbers for your hooks on TikTok and Instagram Reels, they are a fantastic strategy to engage your audience within the first seconds.
- Why 99% of (PAIN POINT TO TARGET AUDIENCE) don’t (RELATED TO NICHE)
Why 99% of your cold emails don’t get replies
- X% of (TARGET AUDIENCE) are (PAIN POINT TO TARGET AUDIENCE), and here’s why
75% of viewers are watching videos without sound, and here’s why
- Here’s why X% of (TARGET AUDIENCE) fail within the (PERIOD).
Here’s why 60% of small businesses fail within the first five years
- This one mistake could be costing you (NUMBER)
This one mistake could be costing you a million dollars
👉 Results of an experiment for your hooks
One of the best examples of Instagram and TikTok hooks is the experimental hook.
We always say, “Show, don’t tell” if you had to create a hook for this expression, we’re in the right hook section!
Depending on the type of video, this type of hook adds a specific social proof to your brand (whether it’s a personal brand or not). It can be used by both content creators and businesses when posting a video on LinkedIn, Insta, and so on. 🔥
- I tried every (HACK/TIP/TRICK), so you don’t have to
I tried every productivity hack, so you don't have to
- (HACK/TIP/TRICK) I wish I knew earlier
The networking tip I wish I knew earlier
- What happens when we (DESIRED RESULT)
What happens when we achieve financial freedom?
- Let’s figure out why (PAIN POINT TO TARGET AUDIENCE)
Let's figure out why entrepreneurs struggle with time management
- Here’s how we (DESIRED RESULT)
Here's how we boosted our website traffic in just 30 days
- Exposing my secret to (DESIRED RESULT)
Exposing my secret to recording a months worth of content in 1 day
- How to get (DESIRED RESULT) in (TIME)
How to get 100k followers in 2 Months
👉 Add tension to your hooks
We have loads of things to learn from Mr. Beast and his copywriters. One of the strategies to create attractive shorts is to add hooks with tension. How do you make them? You can add words to your hooks that will trigger a red alert in your brain. Use words like 'dangerous', "secret", 'illegal" that are uncommon but bring psychological tension to your viewers.
Attention: These hooks should be used for exceptional videos where the tension aligns with the content's message. Overusing those hooks in every TikTok and Instagram video can diminish their impact and come across as "sensationalistic." ⚠️
- These 3 (HACK/TIP/TRICK) feel illegal to know
These 3 productivity hacks feel illegal to know
- This (PAIN POINT TO TARGET AUDIENCE) could destroy (DESIRED RESULT) in 5 seconds
This financial mistake could destroy your retirement plans in 5 seconds.
- This (RELATED TO NICHE) is the most dangerous (RELATED TO NICHE) of (PLACE)
This neighborhood is the most dangerous area in the US
- Stop doing (PAIN POINT OF TARGET AUDIENCE) right now! Instead (DESIRED RESULT)
Stop doing these unhealthy habits right now! Instead…
- (RELATED TO NICHE) are dead
Agencies & SMMAs are dead
- The dark secret behind (RELATED TO NICHE)
The dark secret behind marketing firms
- No one has told you this yet but (RELATED TO NICHE) are dead
No one has told you this yet but hashtags are dead
- Here’s how I achieved (DESIRED RESULT) in (TIME)
Here’s how I achieved gaining 15 pounds of muscle in 90 days
👉 Surprise: most powerful hook online
Hooks are necessary when posting a video on social media platforms like TikTok or Instagram by appealing to their curiosity and emotions.
For this hook list, I introduce you to Devin Jatho, one of the best content creators on TikTok and Instagram, who finds punchy hooks that work amazingly well! His secret sauce: Hard truth and funny hooks. Another surprising hook is the use of negation. It's powerful too! 🚀
- This is why your (ACTION) isn’t working
This is why your marketing strategy isn't working
- Don’t hate me, but (HARD TRUTH)
Don't hate me, but here's the hard truth about success
- Everything you knew about (RELATED TO NICHE) is 100% wrong!
Everything you knew about dieting is 100% wrong!
- This is the only thing you need to know about (RELATED TO NICHE)
This is the only thing you need to know about investing
- Did you know that (FACT)
Did you know that honey never spoils?
- The craziest thing just happened at (PLACE), you will never believe it
The craziest thing just happened at the amusement park; you will never believe it!
- Fun fact: (FACT)
Fun fact: The Eiffel Tower can be 15 cm taller during the summer due to thermal expansion
- (TARGET AUDIENCE) will never (DESIRED RESULT)
Millennials will never retire
- (TARGET AUDIENCE) will never admit these “secrets”
Influencers will never admit these secrets
- This will change the way you use (RELATED TO NICHE)
This will change the way you use TikTok
- Stop doing (RELATED TO NICHE) if you want to do (DESIRED RESULT)
Stop doing cold outreach if you want to scale past $5k/mo
- The biggest secret about (DESIRED RESULT) no one has told you
The biggest secret about starting your own business nobody has told you
- Stop scrolling, you want to see this if you want (DESIRED RESULT)
Stop scrolling, you want to see this if you want your posts to go viral
- This hack will save you hours if you (RELATED TO NICHE)
This hack will save you hours if you create content
- Other (RELATED TO NICHE) are lying to you!
Other content creators are lying to you!
- You will look at (RELATED TO NICHE) differently by the end of this video
You will look at personal trainers differently by the end of this video
👉 Make a list
Nothing is better than a list to engage your viewers with the video. This type of hooks works well, especially on TikTok and Instagram, since you can easily save the video.
Those videos are precious and exciting for the viewers. You do the research for them. So, take advantage of this engaging video idea with a punchy hook! 🧡
- X steps to (DESIRED RESULT)
5 steps to boost your website's traffic
- X ways to (DESIRED RESULT)
5 ways to boost your website's traffic
- X (RELATED TO NICHE) that …
3 social media strategies that drive engagement and growth
- How to get (DESIRED RESULT) step-by-step
How to get 1 million followers step-by-step
- The (NUMBER) secrets to (DESIRED RESULT)
The two secrets to uploading the highest quality Instagram reels.
- Here’s (NUMBER) underestimated (HACK/TIP/TRICK) to (DESIRED RESULT)
Here’s 3 underestimated hacks to lose weight fast
- Here are 3 quick ways to get (DESIRED RESULT)
Here are 3 quick ways to get more subscribers on YouTube.
- (NUMBER) things that feel illegal to know
3 websites that feel illegal to know
- (NUMBER) things about (NICHE) I wish I knew earlier
3 things about dropshipping I wish i knew earlier
- Here are 5 signs why (PAIN POINT OF TARGET AUDIENCE)
Here are 5 signs why you’re following isn’t growing
- 5 mistakes you’re probably doing if you’re not getting (DESIRE RESULT)
5 mistakes you’re probably making if you’re not getting sales through your content
👉 Your experience is vital.
If you are an expert in one field and make videos, your result of experience is decisive for your brand. But the thing is that if you don’t talk about yourself, nobody will see you as an expert in that niche. Hence, your experience is powerful and has to be shared.
It becomes even more complicated when you’re starting a new channel and nobody knows you. So, how can you make your audience feel like you’re an expert? By choosing great hooks talking about your experiences.
Also, remember that those TikTok and Instagram Reels hooks should be used rarely if you don’t have a lot of followers. People first care about the value you give; don’t talk too much about you, or you can lose your audience. 😎
- This is how I achieved (DESIRED RESULT)
This is how I achieved 10k followers in 30 days
- This simple trick helped me to (ACHIEVE DESIRED OUTCOME) and it can help you too
This simple trick helped me to quit my 9-5 forever and it can help you too
- Here’s how I (DESIRED RESULT), (AGAINST COMMON BELIEF)
Here's how I started my own business, while being broke
- How I went from (PAST SITUATION) to (DESIRED RESULT) in just (TIME) years
How I went from $500 to 500 million in just five years
- Steal my secret strategy on (DESIRED RESULT)
Steal my strategy on how I lost 30 pounds
- Mistakes I made when (TARGET AUDIENCE)
Mistakes I made when starting my business
- I’ve always been (PAIN POINT), but…
I've always been risk-averse, but here's how I overcame it
- If I had to start all over again…
If I had to start all over again in real estate investing...
Video tips when making hooks
Always use YOU (or I)
Addressing the viewer directly by using "you" or "I" can help create a personal connection, hence a feeling of involvement. It makes viewers feel like you're speaking directly to them, which can enhance engagement.
Subtitles on videos
Adding subtitles is an excellent idea for several reasons. First, it ensures accessibility for viewers with hearing impairments.
Second, it accommodates viewers who watch videos without sound, such as in public spaces. Finally, trendy subtitles add dynamism to your video. Having a great hook plus fashion subtitles is a fantastic combination for success.
Tools like Submagic make it easy to add subtitles quickly. Do you need the Mr.Beast or Devin Jatho subtitle styles in 3 clicks? Submagic is perfect for you! 🧡
Make it short and straightforward.
Short and straightforward hooks are essential because they quickly communicate the video's value and capture the viewer's attention to your message. People have limited attention spans, especially on social media platforms, so keeping it concise is crucial.