Canva is popularly known for its photo-editing features.
Apart from being a great photo-editing tool used by 100 million people every month, Canva can also be used to edit videos and add captions.
If you’re a content creator using Canva for editing photos, this post will show you how to add Captions to a video in Canva.
In this article, we’ll talk about:
- Key Features of Canva
- A step-by-step guide to adding captions in Canva
- Best video captions alternative to Canva- Submagic
Let’s dive in.
Key Features of Canva
- Different Export Options: Canva lets you export your work in different formats like MP3, PNG, GIF, MP4, PPTX, and more. You can also check how good your video looks before saving it.
- Add Sound: You can add sounds to your videos on Canva.
- Remove Backgrounds Easily: You can erase a boring background from your video without needing a green screen or fancy software. Just click, and it's gone!
- Resize Like Magic: A unique tool lets you change the size of your videos to fit different places, like on websites or social media.
- Branding Made Simple: Canva helps you make and save templates, colors, and fonts that match your brand. This means everything you create looks like it's from the same place.
- Collaboration features: If you're working on a design with others, Canva makes it easy. You can share your work, give jobs to people, and let them help out, all in one place.
Step-by-Step Guide To Adding Captions in Canva
Adding captions to your video content on Canva is a method that involves typing the captions manually word-by-word, clip-by-clip.
Step 1: Launch Canva Website or App and Set Your Canvas
Open Canva and click on the “Video” icon at the top. Choose any of the video options based on your video's size (height and breadth).
Step 2: Upload Your Video
Click the “Element” icon at the left side of the page (on PC) or beneath (for phone users) and select “Upload files.” Select or drag and drop the video.
Step 3: Edit the Video and Add Your Text
Next, drag the corners of the video to fit in the frame you chose. Head to the left panel of your PC or the panel located down the side of your phone, select “Text,” and then “Add a Heading.” Type in your caption (most likely the first sentence of the video).
Step 4: Edit the Text
On Canva, there are options for you to change the text font, size, color, and animate it. Just click on the text and access all these options at the top of your PC. If you are using a phone, you will likely see these options at the bottom.
Step 5: Split the Video into Clips
Splitting the video prevents it from having just one caption throughout the entire video and ensures you can add other captions for the remaining clips.
To do this, click the video and pull the player head beneath the video to the start. Play the video and hit pause immediately after the first sentence. Right-click your mouse to see an option to “Split” the video. The clip will automatically be selected from the entire video and will contain only the video's first caption (sentence).
Step 6: Repeat the Process
After splitting the first clip, move to the other half of the video by the right. On getting to the second sentence, pause the video and split again. This time around, change the text in that clip and repeat until you finish the entire video.
Best Alternative to Canva for Adding Subtitle to Videos - Submagic
Canva is a great tool, but adding subtitles or captions to your video is a painstaking and time-consuming process.
As a creator, inputting captions manually is a time-consuming activity that you can avoid by using an AI tool that creates automatic captions- Submagic.
Submagic has a straightforward user interface that automatically adds captions to your video a few minutes after upload. Submagic works on mobile and desktop.
Here’s how you can add captions to your video with Submagic.
Step 1. Upload Your Video
Access “Submagic.co” directly from your web browser. Record and prepare your video in vertical format (1080x1920) pixels.
Click or drag/drop to upload your video. Name your project, and choose the language linked to your video's audio. Submagic supports over 48 languages!
Step 2. Generate Your Subtitles
Submagic generates your subtitle within minutes through its auto-subtitle generator. You can change the color, animation, emojis, timing when the text appears, and even fonts.🎨
Can you add automatic subtitles in Canva?
No, you can’t add automatic subtitles in Canva. You can only input your subtitles manually.
How do you make text appear and disappear in Canva video?
You can make text appear on Canva by adding a heading. Click on text and select any heading you want. To make texts in your Canva video disappear, click the text and delete it.
How do I add text in Canva?
After opening your design canvas on Canva, click “Text,” select “Add a Heading, ” and type in your text.