With people’s short attention spans, one way to keep them engaged in your video content is to use captions or subtitles. Captions can also help those with hearing impairments access your content and increase reach.
As more businesses and individual creators use auto subtitle generators, the competition is becoming hotter.
Say goodbye to tedious subtitling tasks by leveraging AI subtitle generators for accurate and fast results. Here are the five best AI subtitle generators that you should use in 2023, both free and paid. 😃
What are AI subtitle generators?
AI subtitle generators are software tools that automatically transcribe audio or video and create captions in real-time. They are becoming increasingly popular among creators looking to make content more accessible and improve reach. Plus, AI-generated subtitles help enhance SEO searchability.
How do AI subtitle generators work?
AI subtitle generators are powered by speech recognition models that have been trained on huge amounts of learning materials. The general process can be summed up in the following steps:
- Speech recognition: The subtitle generator will process the video file using its speech recognition model and convert it to a text transcript.
- Natural language processing (NLP): To ensure accuracy, the transcript is refined with an NLP module to remove grammatical errors.
- Synchronization: The generator automatically applies the recognized text over the video, ensuring that it appears at the same pace as the speaker speaks.
Real-time AI subtitle generators do let you customize your options, including the fonts to use, the size, and even the animations. Some of them also offer language translation, which helps expand the reach of your content on a global scale. 🧡
5 Top AI Subtitle Generators
If you’re looking to create trendy, dynamic captions in as short as two minutes, Submagic is the one for you. It’s best known for its ability to combine captions with the most suitable emojis and highlighted keywords.
All it takes is a simple process: upload your video, check and customize your subtitles, and download the final result. 😎
- Basic: $20 per month, capped at 20 videos per month. Limited to 200 MB per video.
- Pro: $50 per month for unlimited use. Limited to 400 MB per video (comes with AI-generated video descriptions with hashtags).
See more of Submagic's pricing.
- Multiple languages: With Submagic, you can generate subtitles in as many as 48 languages, including Japanese, Italian, and even German captions.
- Lightning quick: It takes Submagic no more than five minutes to create closed captions for your videos.
- Great customization options: After the subtitles are generated, you can freely add your own twist to them, especially in terms of animation and style. 🙂
- Customer support: Perhaps one of the best features of Submagic is its dedicated customer support team that you can contact about issues with their tool. They’re available 24/7, too.
- Archive: All of the past videos you have edited in the tool will be stored in one archive, allowing you to access them quickly.
- Rich blog content: Submagic’s blog offers a lot of tutorials that you can follow for your video projects.
- Can only be used online: Submagic is Internet-dependent—you need to access it using your computer’s browser.
- Any laptop or computer connected to the Internet. ✅
- Content creators who want to add animated subtitles and emojis to their short-form videos for YouTube Shorts, Instagram Reels, and TikTok
VEED.IO is not entirely a captions-focused web-based tool, as it also features other video editing functions. One of its latest improvements includes AI-powered subtitle creation tools. It allows you to review and edit the generated captions, from the content itself to their text styles.
- Free: Exports with VEED.IO watermarks. Limited to 30 minutes of closed captions monthly. Capped at 10 minutes per video.
- Basic: $12 per user per month. Export videos without watermarks at resolutions up to 1080p. Generate up to 720 minutes of subtitles per month.
- Pro: $24 per user per month. Generate up to 1,440 minutes of captions and up to 180 minutes of translation. Access to stock media.
- Business: $59 per user per month. Access to custom templates, calls-to-action, and analytics. Generate up to 8,000 minutes of subtitles.
- Free mode: Unlike other video editors, you can use VEED.IO without any upfront cost but with limited options.
- Simple interface: VEED.IO doesn’t need a high level of experience in video editing. You can produce good videos with captions, even if you’re a novice.
- Browser-dependent: VEED is an online web-based tool. So, you can't use it if you don’t connect to the Internet. 🤔
- Hard to use on mobile: Since it’s web-based, you can practically open VEED on any device. However, it might be laggy when used on mobile.
- Laptops, PCs, and mobile devices
- People looking for easy-to-use and affordable AI subtitle generators for beginners
When it comes to professional-grade video editing and subtitle generation, Adobe Premiere Pro would be an excellent choice. Here, you need to have a video transcript first and edit it in the provided text panel before generating your captions. You also get to access an extensive toolset for captions-editing. 👍
- Monthly plan: $34 per month.
- Annual plan: Paid monthly at $22.99 or prepaid at $263.18 per year.
- Professional-level: Everything you need to edit a video, whether short-form or feature film, is included.
- Excellent customization: Premiere Pro provides a lot of tools and options to personalize your captions.
- Learning curve: Premiere Pro is one of the more advanced AI subtitle generators and requires time to master.
- Price point: There are better tools that can generate the same trendy subtitles—without the high cost and learning curve. 😬
- Works on macOS and Windows
- Professionals and big-time content creators in need of advanced video editing
Zubtitle allows you to generate highly accurate auto-subtitles in a few easy steps. You can also embed the subtitles in varying orientations, like square, widescreen, and other formats. But besides this, one feature worth highlighting is that it also generates text transcriptions that you can download as TXT and SRT files.
Curious how Zubtitle fairs against Submagic? Read our Submagic vs. Zubtitle review!
- Bootstrapper plan: No-cost downloads of 720p videos with Zubtitle watermarks. Capped at 2 videos per month. 😃
- Guru plan: $19 per month. Download watermark-free videos up to 4K. Capped at 10 videos per month.
- Agency plan: $49 per month. Everything in the Guru plan. Capped at 30 videos per month.
- Free usage: It allows you to generate subtitles for up to 2 videos per month, with limited features.
- Easy to use: Zubtitle is good even for beginners.
- Limited videos to process: Even with the most expensive plan, there’s a limit to the number of videos you can add auto subtitles to.
- Laptops, PCs, and mobile devices. 🚀
- Beginners and those who don’t create a lot of videos.
Like every AI caption maker out there, Kapwing can automatically make closed captions for your videos in a matter of minutes. What sets it apart from other tools, though, is that it’s a collaborative platform. This allows you and your team to work on the same video in a shared workspace.
- Free: Unlimited exports of 4-minute videos at 720p (comes with a watermark). Up to 10 minutes of AI subtitles per month.
- Pro: AI subtitles up to 300 minutes per month. Download videos for up to 120 minutes each at 4K quality (watermark-free).
- Business: Everything in Pro, but up to 900 minutes of AI subtitles per month.
- Free usage: You can create unlimited videos with up to 10 minutes of AI subtitles (per month) at no cost.
- Collaborative features: You can invite another person to edit the same video project with you on Kapwing.
- Internet-dependent. 😉
- Responsiveness: Kapwing is web-based and might lag when loaded with long videos.
- Volume adjustment: No volume adjustment controls for clips are available at Kapwing.
- Laptops, PCs, and mobile devices.
- Individuals and teams looking for beginner to moderate editing tools and automatic subtitle generators
Which one should you choose?
Among the reliable AI subtitle generators that made it onto our list, only Submagic truly specializes in generating amazing subtitles. The others were undoubtedly great, such as Premiere Pro and VEED.IO, but they’re more intended for other video editing purposes (like sound adjustments, transitions, and color grading).
Moreover, editors like Premiere Pro can take longer to generate the same amount of subtitles as Submagic can. This is true, especially with the number of tools that you have to use on Premiere Pro compared with the simpler interface of the latter. 🧡
But videos don’t gain attention with just captions. Submagic also has its limitations—it doesn’t support other video editing functions besides AI subtitles. To get the best of both worlds, why not edit your videos on Premiere Pro and generate automatic subtitles on Submagic?
You might also want to read our review of Submagic vs. Captions AI.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there an AI that can generate subtitles?
Yes. There are a lot of AI tools that can generate subtitles. One of the best ones that you can try is Submagic.
Which is the best auto subtitle generator?
In terms of AI subtitle generation alone, Submagic offers some of the best results. You might also want to consider Adobe Premiere Pro and Zubtitle.
Can AI help with subtitles?
Yes! AI is more powerful than you think. AI-powered tools like Submagic can detect and convert speech to text. Then, they automatically add these generated transcripts to the video as animated subtitles.
For most tools, you do have the ability to review and edit the generated subtitles before downloading the video.
Is there an app that automatically generates subtitles?
There are a lot of apps on the web that auto-generate subtitles. The best ones include Submagic, Adobe Premiere Pro, and VEED.IO.